Sunday, September 13, 2020
Cleaning and Decarbing Cannabis for Edibles with JeffThe420Chef
Steps 1 and 2: CLEAN YOUR BUD (2-3 days depending on how dirty your cannabis is)
- Break apart the buds and place pieces and stems into a french press
- Soak cannabis for 2-3 days, changing the water about 12 every hours until the water runs clear
Step 3: BLANCH YOUR BUD
- When water runs clear, transfer the buds from the french press into a tea strainer
- Bring a pot of water to a rolling boil and prepare a bowl of ice water
- Immerse the tea strainer into the boiling water and let sit for 5 minutes
- Immediately remove the tea strainer after 5 minutes and immerse in the ice water for 1 minute. This stops the cleaning process and shocks the cannabis back to reality. It will also cool the cannabis or hemp enough for the next step.
Step 4: DRY AND DECARB YOUR BUD
- Spin out all of the water from the cooled cannabis in a salad spinner.
- Preheat your oven to 240ºF
- Break apart the bud ball into an oven-safe dish or pan
- Cover tightly with foil. This is the one step that might infuse your kitchen or home briefly with the smell of cannabis. Covering tightly with aluminum foil will significantly reduce the odor
- Place in oven to dry and decarb for 1 hour. Let it sit for at least 5 minutes after you remove it from the oven so any steam floating around can settle and dissipate
- Remove the foil and ensure that your bud is COMPLETELY DRY! If there is any leftover moisture, it will impart moisture and an herbaceous taste into your butter or oil
- If your bud is not completely dry after you remove it from the oven, cover it loosely with a paper towel and let it sit overnight. It should be completely dry by the morning
When your dried and decarbed bud is completely dry, weigh it. You will notice that what was once 7 grams of cannabis is now more like 3, 4, or 5 grams. The difference between your starting weight and the final weight will vary based on how moist or dry your cannabis was when you started.
Write down the final weight, you will need this to calculate the potency of your cannabutter or canna-oil. To easily calculate the approximate potency of your butter or oil, including the potency per serving, visit www.JeffThe420Chef.com/calculator.
Follow Jeff the 420 Chef: